Prospective Honors Students
All incoming first-year students and transfer students are eligible to apply for admission to the Schreyer Honors College (SHC) at Penn State.
Students in the SHC are, first and foremost, Penn State students and experience everything the University has to offer! There are distinct opportunities afforded to Schreyer Scholars, some of which include the following:
- Academic enrichment including honors courses, exclusive study abroad programs, and research placements
- Dedicated honors housing in two residence halls that establish a vibrant setting for learning and living
- The distinction of graduating with honors from Penn State upon successful completion of the SHC's academic requirements
- Financial Support—Incoming freshman Scholars receive a $4,500 Academic Excellence Scholarship. Additional financial support includes grants for travel, research, and internships throughout the student’s academic career.
Admission into the honors program is limited and requires the completion of a SHC application, in addition to the Penn State Undergraduate Admissions Application. (You will find a link to the Honors College application through the general Penn State application.) The SHC's overall enrollment of 1,800 Scholars represents just five percent of Penn State's undergraduate student population.
For more information about the Schreyer Honors College, including FAQ, admission requirements, and information on how to apply, please visit the Schreyer Honors College website.
Current Honors Students in Aerospace Engineering
In addition to the requirements set forth by the Schreyer Honors College, each Schreyer Scholar in aerospace engineering must give an oral presentation of his/her honors thesis in a formal setting (preferably at the AIAA Regional Student Conference, held each April; however, the student’s honors adviser may approve a suitable alternative setting).
For the honors thesis, scholars are required to obtain the signatures of three readers:
- Honors thesis adviser
- Second reader (preferably someone familiar with the subject matter of the thesis)
- Aerospace Engineering department head
Please consult the Schreyer Honors College website for details on the format of the signature page and the thesis.